Grugach’s Gold – Rathlin Development and Community Association
PB theme or issue
The Grugach’s Gold is the “social dividend” from the Manor House’s profits, a social enterprise on the island. The theme was ideas to benefit the community of Rathlin.
PB eligibility criteria
Part of the Rathlin Island Community.
Age to vote
No age limit
Number of votes
Example of winning ideas
- Rathlin Football Club for footballs, bibs, cones and a storage box to help encourage sport for the island’s young population
- Rathlin Sound Choir for production costs for a CD
- “Seconds Away” for an away-day for the island’s secondary school pupils
- Graveyard tidying and maintenance.
Top three tips from the organisers
- Do PB with the Community – home grown ideas, make it a celebration of Local Democracy in Action!
- Include younger people on the Steering Group and ensure meetings are organised at times which are suitable for them to stay involved
- Ensure a warm welcome with food and a hot drink
- Capture the process – we have a great video which illustrates the energy and excitement of the Voting Night