The Big Dish Out – Coleraine and Cushendall
PB theme or issue
Local people were invited to put forward their ideas on what would make their area and community an even happier and better place to live in for all.
PB eligibility criteria
Safe, legal & feasible within the timescale and budget
Age to vote
Number of votes
Example of winning ideas
- Harpurs Hill Primary School P7 – Equipment for inter-generational gardening club
- Twenty’s Plenty – Speed reduction campaign outside school by parents & children
- Coleraine Scooter Club – Expenses to travel to Belfast skate park
- Men’s Pool & Darts Club – equipment and to run a competition
- Happy Hookers – venue costs and refreshments for ladies who crochet
- Cushendall Men’s Shed – fund fact finding research and set up costs
- Glens Youth Club – Inter-generational mosaic with Cairns Residents Association
- Glens Red Squirrel Group – purchase of equipment
Top three tips from the organisers
- Bring in local people to help design the PB process as early as possible, e.g. should we have a market place with stalls or use a 3 minute pitch to make a bid, and to help get the word out!
- Build in lots of time to explain the process and answer questions, encourage and mentor ideas …… keep it simple!
- After all the discussions and preparations, remember to have fun and trust the process and the community!
Further information and evaluations
Filmed at the Participatory Budgeting voting night Cushendall.